Tuesday, June 14, 2011

La Laguna



After a number of days without access to the internet, our electricity is finally on at the same time as the interet is working!! I am now almost finished my second day of studying Spanish at the Laguna de Apoyo but I have been at the lake now for 4 days. I came to this gorgeous volcanic crater lake on Saturday already with the Goshen SST crew to finalize details for 3 student service sites and then spend some time lounging and enjoying the lake.



Swimming in the lake is phenomenal. It is cool enough to be refreshing but stunningly warm to this Canadian´s touch. The water is clear and at points you can see quite far below the surface. Jen, Lisa, and I went for a night swim after we were convinced by locals that the hundreds of fish we could see by the dock lights would not in fact swarm us upon entry into the water! We conquered our squeamishness and had a lovely dip. On Sunday, the students also came out and joined us for a day at the lake.


I then said farewell to the SST group and struck out on my own although still at the same location. My spanish school is at an ecological research station and it is VERY rustic. I confess that it is a little less exciting than I had imagined and I have decided not to stay for two weeks here. It is beautiful, there are howler monkeys howling in the distance as I type (and I have seen a number of these monkeys in the trees) but I am feeling restless and have decided to head north to the city of Esteli for my next two weeks. The GC students highly recommended it and I´m excited about cooler mountain air. It has been very humid here and while sleeping has not been too bad, I think that a week of this will be enough.

Here are some photos from around the station:



The daily swim continues to be lovely and tomorrow we will make an excursion to a look out over the lake and a small town that is known for its ceramics. I already visited San Juan del Oriente on Friday with the students but I will be happy to return again. This will probably be my last blog post until I am established in Esteli since the internet service here is so spotty.

Hasta luego!

1 comment:

  1. I'm extremely jealous of your volcanic lake swims! But you already knew that. And I'm glad your travel plans are flexible so that you can do some more exploration. Thanks for the update!

    ReplyDelete