Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Viva Ecuador!

Today, I´m reporting in from a jubilant nation in the wake of Ecuador´s trouncing of Argentina in futbol this afternoon: 2-0. A large group of us from my school headed over to the game after our morning classes. I had dutifully purchased my yellow Ecuador soccer jersey, and my host mom quickly contributed a matching hat this morning when she pronounced that I needed a hat. Once I got my cheek painted with an Ecuadorian flag I was ready for the game.

The day started off beautifully but soon after we had settled into our concrete seats in the stadium, the dark clouds began to roll in. It proceeded to rain, and at one moment, hail, for the entire game with only a few momentary lapses. But it was an adventure and thanks to a purchased poncho ("plastico, plastico!") and my umbrella, I managed to stay quite dry.

The game was great - Ecuador dominated for most of the game and taking in the reactions of the crowd was fascinating. As soon as the Argentinian team was being announced the shouted insults began, and I don´t think the profanity really ceased until the end of the game. The most distinctive thing about the crowd was the whistling. Everyone was whistling en masse, sometimes in an effort to distract the opposing team at corner kicks, sometimes just ´cause. The effect of approximately 30,000 people whistling in unison is almost deafening. The game was goal-less until the second half but when the goals came, the crowd went nuts. Lots of hugging and jumping. All in all it was a great afternoon, we survived the crushing crowd on the way out and managed our first ride on the ´trole´or bus.

And there were, of course, a variety of cheers and songs to learn, such as:

"Vamos Ecuatorianos, esta tarde, tenemos que ganar" (futbol cheer - C´mon Ecuadorians, this afternoon, we must win....)

As they say, Viva Ecuador!

No comments:

Post a Comment